Tuesday, February 6

No Bravery, No Heroes

Jim Walsh is a playwright with an acting troupe called The Romero Troupe. The troupe is named for the priest, Oscar Romero, who was assassinated by American funded death squads trained in the School of Americas. Romero was an outspoken priest opposing an American backed regime in El Salvador.

Jim developed the troupe as part of his history course which he teaches at University of Colorado – Denver (UCD).

I met Jim one cold night while attending a rally and vigil to oppose the escalation of the war in Iraq. We were at the corner of Broadway and 14th in Civic Center Park with family members of troops deployed or about to be deployed.

Jim told me he was looking for a worthy cause to donate half of his troupe’s earnings from the most recent play called “9/12”. The play was doing a two day run at the Oriental Theatre in Northwest Denver. The other half of the earnings was going to AFSC.

Jim wanted an organization that focused on assisting returning troops adjust when they returned from the wars. His play included many scenes about the issue of PTSD and effects on the troops and those close to the troops.

I immediately thought of Vets4Vets, the IVAW project of peer counseling for returning vets. The counselors are trained by mental health professionals before allowed to interact with any returning veteran or person close to a returning vet.

Jim liked the suggestion and asked I be one of the speakers before the play on January 25, 07. He wanted me to speak about Vietnam Veterans Against the War, IVAW and PTSD.

I went to the January 24, 07 presentation and came away with mixed feelings. One scene seemed to make a hero of a veteran killed in action.

While I respect and grieve the loss of any soldier, Marine, seaman or airman and women, I have a problem saying anybody participating in an immoral action is heroic.

So, I amended my prepared remarks for the 25th. Here’s the text of those remarks. I post them because some members of the audience gave me positive feedback. But, I also post them to have others join in on this idea our American troops are heroes while participating in a war we say is immoral and illegal.

I have to say I’ve struggled with what I would say tonight. Seemed like a no-brainer when I was first asked by Jim to speak about VVAW, IVAW and PTSD.


That was before I saw the play last night and there was mention of heroes. Now I have the dilemma of taking an unpopular position with some in the veteran group opposing the war.


I don’t believe we can be part of immoral and illegal wars as individuals and be called heroes.


I don’t believe we should continue to call the dead American troops of these wars heroes. Almost all had good intentions but they were betrayed.


I know many whose names I visited at the Vietnam Memorial wall acted heroically in combat situations I was in.


But, I also know some committed acts of atrocity and evil.


My squad leader threw a “frag” into a bunker, knowing there was a crying baby there. The squad leader was KIA a few weeks later. I can’t say he was a hero.


If we continue to make heroes of those who die and fight in illegal and immoral wars, we condemn our future generations to the glorification of violence and war.


We can’t have it both ways. We can’t condemn a war but say our troops are heroes fighting for democracy and freedom.


The reality of combat is we don’t fight for country, we don’t fight for democracy and we don’t fight for freedom. As a young Marine says in a rap on the CD, “Voices From the Frontline”, ……”we fight for the dawg next to us.”



We, the combat veterans, are the pawns of a culture of violence. To truly be heroic and honor our dead friends requires us to acknowledge our responsibility and to speak out against this insanity.


The heroes are those who struggle to bring peace and sanity to our world. Ardeth Platte, Jackie Hudson and Carol Gilbert are my heroes. They are three Sisters who without a single weapon stood up to the bully American military-industrial complex. They said ENOUGH to continued nuclear weapons.


Kathy Kelly, Lt. Erin Watada, Pablo Paredes, Camilo Mejia, Suzanne Swift, Abdul Henderson and many of you here in this audience are heroes. All have said enough!! All have struggled to end war and bring peace and justice at large personal costs.


But I’m here to talk about PTSD. Why should your money go to a group like Vets4Vets?


Vets4Vets is a non-profit organization created by IVAW to provide qualified peer counseling for returning veterans of the current wars.


Back in the “day”, VVAW found the formation of “rap groups” helped our generation of vets in readjusting to the “world”.


Vets of all wars come home with the belief only other veterans can understand the horror they’ve endured. Vets4Vets is the refinement of the VVAW “rap group”. Their counselors have had training by mental health professionals before taking on the task.


It’s my belief the Vets4Vets program can be a doorway for returning vets wanting help with readjusting after their horrific experiences.


I have this quote on my blog:

Please God, let me see the sunset. Please God, let me see another morning. Please God, let me see my friend again with both eyes intact and no gaping holes in his body.

A Soldier


I’ve been blessed to be around and work with many Iraq veterans over the past few years. I’ve also had the honor to talk with many family members of veterans and troops about to deploy.


I’ve talked with a mother whose son, Andy, is in the Marines. Andy was pinned down in Falluja during an intense firefight. His best friend was killed in front of him. Andy held the friend for over an hour while the brain matter oozed from his friend’s skull.


I’ve talked with young veterans who are haunted by orders they were given to never stop while in a convoy in Iraq. It was a reasonable military tactic to avoid IED’s. The reality of running over children and innocent civilians is what haunts these vets, though.


I’ve marched six days with veterans and Katrina survivors from Mobile to New Orleans. The many Iraq and Vietnam veterans I was honored to be with didn’t think their time in war heroic.


In fact, the Iraq veterans were very excited when a camera crew from Al Jazeera joined us on the march. The vets wanted the Iraqi people to see their opposition to the war, their solidarity with the Iraqis and their sorrow for the death and destruction inflicted upon Iraqis.


We’re talking about the death and destruction for over 600,000 lives. Of that number, 90% were innocent civilians. Of the 90%, forty per cent were children.


These are the numbers of every war since the end of WWII. With so many children it’s understandable why so many vets are haunted by their experiences.


My dear friend, Abdul Henderson, the black Marine in Fahrenheit 9-11 who walked with Michael Moore in front of the Capitol, is one of the haunted. Abdul publicly stated in the film he would not return to Iraq even though subject to re-deployment. He would go to prison first.



Abdul has finally been discharged from the Marine Corps and wasn’t re-deployed to Iraq.



Abdul had good reason to object and resist. During his tour in Iraq he was a forward observer for naval artillery and air support. On one occasion he called in an artillery strike against a target in a village. The artillery barrage missed the target. Instead it hit an area occupied by civilians. 37 civilians were killed. Many were children.



If you ever wanted an example of the causes of PTSD, Abdul’s experience is definitely an example.



Another Iraq veteran, who was much beloved, was Doug Barber. Doug, a member of IVAW, wrote a blog that spoke about his opposition to the war. He wrote with eloquence and passion on the subject. But, Doug was plagued by the demons of war.



Another vet called Doug right before the march to New Orleans was to take place. It was expected Doug would take part. Instead, Doug left this message on his answering machine:

“If you’re looking for Doug, I’m checking out of this world. I’ll see you on the other side.”

Doug killed himself after taping that message.



It is our responsibility as a nation to prevent deaths like Doug’s from happening. In researching for presentations I’ve found over 250 PTSD related articles that are similar to Doug’s story.



For healing we must intervene and assure our veterans they will get the help they need. Vets4Vets is an excellent beginning point.



Iraq Veterans Against the War has three goals in their mission:

Immediate withdrawal of all occupying forces in Iraq
Reparations for the destruction and corporate pillaging of Iraq so that ordinary Iraqi people can control their lives and future
Full benefits, adequate healthcare (including mental health), and other supports for returning servicemen and women.


To end, I leave you with this quote from Malcolm X:

“You’re not to be so blind with patriotism that you can’t face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”



Wm. Terry Leichner, RN

Vietnam combat veteran

VVAW member, Denver

1 comment:

Carol said...

Terry,

I always appreciate your thoughtfulness, honesty and integrity. You help keep us awake - and that is vital to our survival.