Sunday, November 27

Our Young Women and Men



I've been told the young women and men of this nation "don't care", "are apathetic", "don't follow up" and so on by other activists.
I just finished looking at the photos of the SOA actions this weekend. What struck me were the remarkable young women and men so prevalent in those photos.
I've had the wonderful opportunity to attend the vigil/rally at Crawford, Texas started by Cindy Sheehan and the Veterans For Peace in August.
I followed that with a journey to Covington, La. to lend a tiny bit of help to relief efforts for Katrina survivors started by VFP members. I ended up in Colorado Springs' Camp Casey for a day and a half. Then I went to the rally in D.C. on September 24th.
Yeah, I was lucky to have the time to do all this. I decided I needed to take the time to rediscover the American peace and justice movement. I came away with many conflicting thoughts as many of CCJP know. Many have commented about some of the thoughts I expressed.
I discovered the movement remains stale in many ways. The same people doing the same things as if they're rituals that must be kept at all costs. Speeches and songs sounding very much like the old days of the movement. Celebrities jumping on and off the bandwagon when it suits their own personal needs. Others seeking celebrity and forgetting the reasons for the struggle.
I discovered no matter where I went there would always be meetings that consumed too much time. There were always groups attempting to make their agenda the only agenda to be discussed. There remains the male dominated hierarchy of decision making. There remain the usual people who have to gain control at all costs because they've not learned how to put away the ego for the common good and don't want others to take leadership roles.
I discovered the "old hands" of the movement overlook the new members and often times drive them away. Patronization and dismissive attitudes keep the young and the people of color at a distance. People of poverty are looked upon as objects of pity and needing our help but too often they don't get their say in the way their lives should go. Too often the movement thinks it knows best.
Returning veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan try to join the movement and discover it's a lot like the military. Too many bosses and not enough community. They know first hand of the carnage that must be the first priority and become frustrated with being co-opted by others who push causes that won't bring more to the movement but will alienate those that might join.
Yeah, I'm talking about negative things. People say I shouldn't do it. I've been told what I should say by members of my own coalition. I've been told I shouldn't have fun at a rally. I've been told I shouldn't upset the community.
I'm told civil resistance is “walking the walk” and see planners include police in the plan. I've been told being arrested is civil disobedience and then see fines being paid if convicted. How is it resistance if we aren't willing to resist paying the fine out of conscience and moral belief?
Then I remember the glorious times of these past few years. I remember the days before the war and all the days after the war. And always the faces of young people enter my memories. I remember Zoe, Nick, Sarah, Robin, Courtney, Melissa, Tex, Kristin and countless others “walking that walk” in efforts to prevent the war and later to stop it.
I remember Abdul Henderson, gracious, well spoken and passionate. I think of Mike Cuzzhart, Kelly Dougherty, Jeff Englehart, Joe Hatcher and Garret Reppenhagen. They are the voices of the returning veterans. Their voices are the ones that will be heard with greatest impact.
I recall many conversations in the “Ditch” in Crawford with young vets and young activists that inspired me and gave me great hope for the future.
I think of Dahlia Wasfi standing up for the people of Iraq. Presentation after presentation she walks the walk.
I met countless young people in Covington willing to give their time, energy and passion to the cause of relief for Katrina survivors. I have photos of a group of young college students from Minnesota that drove all night to get to Covington to pitch in.
I don’t buy the young people are apathetic, lazy, don’t care or don’t have the same passion. I’ve witnessed a great number of them giving new energy and new idealism to the movement.
I think it time for us older activists to realize our ways may need changing. We can no longer sing “We Will Carry On” and expect the younger generation to feel as we do about the meaning of the song. They rightfully have their own anthems that energize them. We need to accept the young on an equal basis and encourage them to be part of us.
Hip hop and rap has been telling the urban story for many years now but we’ve not been listening. Alternative has voiced the outrage of our society but we’ve dismissed it.
I have found new energy and new hope by hanging out with young people as much as I can. I looked at the folks running Food Not Bombs in the New Orleans disaster and saw caring people. Most were young. The idealism I found reignited my own hopes and idealism.
The question facing the mainstream movement is why we haven’t embraced these wonderful young women and men and given them a bigger role and voice in things we do. I hope they will come to realize they are welcome and join with us in the ongoing struggle.
We “old-timers” may have to change our ways. We may have to listen more. We will have to give up the power and the leadership of the movement to the good hands of our young men and women. For me, it will be an honor to pass the torch on to the outstanding people I’ve met over these past few years.
I don’t fear for the future when I consider who I’ve met and worked with. I’m thankful for the opportunity to be around them. I thank them for the inspiration they’ve been to me.

In Peace,
Terry Leichner, RN
Vietnam Veterans Against the War

1 comment:

Terry said...

I can't tell you how many young people I've been honored to talk with in the past few years. I can tell you they've amazed me. I just hope they keep letting me hang around and enjoy their company every so often.
Peace,
Terry